Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Midterm Evaluation

This is going to be a long one, I can feel it already.

1. How Have I Gained Shakespeare Literacy?
I've read all of the assigned plays, including a couple that I was entirely unfamiliar with. With the help of my group, I explored themes and analyzed characters in ways that I would have never considered, if left to my own devices.

2. How Have I Analyzed Shakespeare Critically?
I think I've done a relatively good job with the analysis I've done. If you look back on previous blog posts, you'll probably see that I've focused on the characters, and how the characters function within the constraints of the plot. I tried to look at these plays as I would any other piece of literature, and not put it on a big pedestal because it's Shakespeare. I'm coming to the conclusion that Shakespeare didn't view his characters as real people, but as vehicles to further the plot to his liking. Additionally, I spent a lot of time connecting Shakespearean text to modern social issues.

3. How Have I Engaged Shakespeare Creatively?
I saw two live productions: one good, and one really so-so. I connected the things I saw to my own understandings of the play, as well as my expectations for decent theatre. There's this interesting idea that permeates through classical performance of any kind: if you stand really still and talk really loudly and really slowly, then it's powerful, and the audience will be moved through the power of your words. I am here to tell you that is not the case at all. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Theatre is a visual medium, which means you can't neglect the visual aspect of performance.

I also watched 10 Things I Hate About You, a modern incarnation of The Taming of the Shrew. I felt it was a really good adaptation for several reasons. It made Shakespeare accessible to a younger, modern audience. It maintained the plot while removing some of the themes that wouldn't be acceptable to a modern audience. It stayed true to the intended comedic feel without alienating viewers.

4. How Have I Shared Shakespeare Meaningfully?
Well, I blog. I blog a lot. I've also had a number of really productive and insightful conversations with my group. Outside of class, I've spent a lot of time talking to my husband about what I'm learning. Through Facebook, I connected with other family members and friends, and was able to engage in a really great dialog about social issues, connected through Shakespeare. Through GroupReads, I was able to converse with people outside of my immediate circle about Shakespeare, and was able to gain new perspectives.

Self Directed Learning:
Well, again, I blog a lot. I also write a lot of blog comments, in an attempt to contribute to the conversation. I spend a lot of time discussing social issues as introduced by Shakespeare's themes. I spent a lot of time trying to research the background of each play, so I could understand the themes and issues that would have affected Shakespearean viewers. For example, it was really helpful to know that Love's Labour's Lost was written for a group of barristers, because barristers would have been well-educated and would have been more likely to enjoy the hyperintellecualization of the play.
I don't expressly know how a person can measure one's own learning. That being said, I think I've done a good job of documenting the questions I want to explore, figuring out an answer (even if it's not the right answer), and coming back to report. I've utilized web resources like Wikipedia and Sparknotes to give me context, and I've shared my thoughts with other well-informed people.

Collaborative and Social Learning
I think that Kellan and Melanie have helped me a lot. They're very consistent in their blogging, and they always have interesting things to say. It's clear that they are really reading and critically thinking about each play that we're assigned. I think our group is generally working pretty well together, although some of us have experienced some technical difficulties with the blogging that have made things more difficult.

I've already spoken pretty extensively about how I'm involving others outside of class, but I'll do a quick recap: I talk to my husband about what I'm reading and learning all the time. I've connected with other family members and friends on Facebook. I wrote my own Goodreads review and commented on other reviews.

Looking Ahead
I feel like I've met the learning outcomes insofar as that's possible at this point. I have a couple of ideas for my final project. The one I'm most passionate about is designing a dream production. I want to design the costumes, and maybe someone could do the set, and someone else could do the hair and makeup, since we're supposed to be collaborating. Then, to share globally, we could post our designs on DeviantArt.

No comments:

Post a Comment