Friday, September 30, 2011

The Magical Qualities of Music

We spent a good deal of class discussing the role music plays in a staged production. I didn't see The Winter's Tale this weekend, so I can't say whether that particular production used music well. I can, however, cite an example of music NOT being used well.

I once saw a high school production of Romeo and Juliet. They decided to modernize it, which is fine. I think they were going for a Leo Dicaprio/ Claire Danes kind of vibe, and it didn't quite get there. I mean, everyone on stage was like sixteen and had no idea what they were saying. They used music pretty extensively throughout the show, which, in theory, is fine. Unfortunately, they only used one song.


This was the ONLY song they used. Literally the only one. Capulet's Party? Crawling. Marriage scene? Crawling. Mercutio got killed? Crawling. They also played it over their horribly long scene changes, and it was almost never appropriate for what was happening.

I love ambient music for a stage play, and I think it can add a lot. Unfortunately, it can also be terribly, terribly distracting if not done well.

1 comment:

  1. I have a strong opinion about movie music. It must be good. And music has that magical quality of changing emotions and setting a mood. Most times music can totally compliment a movie or completely hash it up into really tiny pieces that no one wants to put together again. Music, therefore, is crucial. I bet it is so hard to get good music for a Shakespeare play because it is only words on paper and we don't have the writer here to tell us what mood he intended.

    ReplyDelete